Monday, February 25, 2008

Old friends

Yes, I know, I'm a little behind on my blogging!! Fortunately, there are no rules to this (really)!!!

I've been thinking about some of my friendships and how it seems that some of my oldest friends are the most special to me!! You know who you are, "old" friends!! I have a book that my dear friend Shaun bought me a long time ago called simply "Girlfriends". It has some really neat things in it, and I'll share one here. It's part of a chapter titled, "Savoring Friendship".

"While meeting a new friend can be exhilarating, the most rewarding aspect of friendship is that day-to-day (or decade-to-decade) presence, whether it be immediate or distant. As friendships deepen and mature, we can take comfort that our girlfriends appreciate our support and are not offended by our bad moods or scared by our tears. We can settle into the friendship as into old slippers--remembering, of course, not to take even old slippers for granted."

Love is like the wild rose-briar;
Friendship like the holly-tree.
The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms,
But which will bloom most constantly? ---Emily Bronte (1846)

I appreciate each one of you!!!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love these thoughts...and would love to see you, too!!

Shaun said...

Susanna - I am so thankful for your friendship - You are a blessing to me! Love, Shaun